Thursday, September 17, 2009

National Sewing Month



In honor of National Sewing Month, a story:

During a conversation with my mother and sister, I stated that I would like a sewing machine for Christmas. My sister strolls over to her closet, grabs down a box and hands it to me. It is a brand new sewing machine!!

Well, I mean it appeared to be a brand new sewing machine because the box had NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, not in NINE years been open. NINE years. (Keep in mind she is the mother of 2 girls, ages NINE and FIVE.)

I excitedly started dreaming up my first project. BAILEY's napmat for Mother's Day Out!! Two months later, I found the PERFECT Napmat tutorial online, bought all the supplies and then.......

I packed up my BRAND NEW SEWING machine, pattern/tutorial/whatever you want to call it, and supplies and drove straight over to my sis-in-laws house. Why?

She's the one that knows how to sew!!! I can't sew a stitch!! What was I thinking??? A NAPMAT??? I should probably start with something basic like...THREADING THE MACHINE or sewing two pieces of fabric together!!

Good decision making on my part because this is how precious it came out!!!:



Bailey LOVES it!! He lays right down and goes straight to sleep....from what I hear!!!

4 comments:

  1. I *love* this story--and Bailey's nap mat is adorable! It's so easy to picture your sister pulling out a never-been-used sewing machine. When would she have the time to sit down? :) Did your sister-in-law teach you how to sew? I wish I'd let Mimi teach me. She offered several times, but I kept saying I career girls didn't need to how to sew. That sounds so silly now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow....impressive for a first project. I've had a machine forever and haven't attempted something that ambitious! GOOD JOB!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, so, did you use the new machine or the one your sister-in-law had? The mat is precious. And Bailey looks right at home with it. It is so colorful. Is it bumpy like his favorite pillow? I need to get my account back up sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it turned out very cute! It looks so much like Sterling's. We used the same pattern and red minky fabric. I wish I had more time to sew with friends like I used to. I think it's time for you to try quilting!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

You are Visitor Number

BlogCatalog

Family Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory