Sunday, April 26, 2009

Buzz Lightyear Brave

A wise observer once said to me, "Wow, you guys don't do anything the easy way!" Boy did we prove that to be true these last four days!!!

Barnum was recently diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea aka neither he nor his parents have slept in 3 1/2 years. Turns out his tonsils and adenoids are alarmingly L-A-R-G-E!! These enlarged devils cause him to wake up anywhere from 2-6 times a night and have also given him a mild-to-moderate hearing loss.

To alleviate all of this drama, he was scheduled for a tonsil-adenoidectomy and bilateral PE tube placement.

Here is Barnum awaiting his premed or "sleepy cocktail."


Barnum likey his sleepy cocktail!!!
Here is how this precious angel spent the next 48+ hours!!! He was supposed to go home 24 hours later, however, his little lungs didn't participate quite the way they should have!! Barnum had bronchiolitis and couldn't maintain a proper oxygen level.


Bless his heart!!! This little boy had to endure around the clock breathing treatments (which he equates with torture), constant O2 and IV's.
He was very, very brave during his stay. Thankfully, he is now at home with us and doing well.

8 comments:

  1. wow, Laura, wow! I know as a mother there is nothing worse than having to watch your sweet boy go through all of that. My husband has the same extremely large things, but against the doctor's reccomendation, he has kept his :)

    Praying for you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry that your little guy had such a hard time. It is so hard to watch your baby go through that!

    Alex had his tonsils and adenoids out at age 3 1/2, too, for the same reasons! We were lucky that ours was just outpatient. Give him a hug from me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Barnum! The same thing happened to Taylor! She was like a different child after the surgery! I am glad he is doing well and y'all are at home and recovering! Precious pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did your mom have to have her tonsils taken out twice? I think you were there when she was telling me the story. I hope you and your family are doing okay. Poor Barnum!! Thanks for keeping us updated. Hopefully, he will feel a thousand times better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! I am glad he is okay! I am also tonsil and adenoid free and I never wake anyone up with my snoring - soooo hopefully a good night's sleep is on your way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh a.k.a writer.....Grammy had her tonsils taken out 3 times! You read me....THREE TIMES!!! Once as a teenager and TWICE as an adult!!! That story is a whole new blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor little guy!!! So glad he is home and doing better! ps, Emma had the huge tonsils too and had to undergo the same thing...her tonsils were so big they almost touched!!! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These pictures do say a thousand words. Little Barnum is such a brave and precious fella. Hopefully all of this will pay off in many many wonderful nights of blissful sleep for all. Actually,the count on having the tonsils out was 4. The nurses got to where they recognized me in the childrens ward of the hospital. I really felt out of place since I was an adult in my late 40's.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

You are Visitor Number

BlogCatalog

Family Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory