Saturday, February 13, 2010

Pottery Barn Knock-off--THANK YOU Knock off Wood!!

Here was our inspiration:

(photo via Pottery Barn and current price tag=$349)


Thanks to the lovely Ana, at Knock off Wood, The Strong Man was able to create it!!
If you are not familiar with Knock off Wood, PLEASE head over there!! Ana VERY GENEROUSLY provides a bevy of plans and helpful hints so that those of us without the ability or desire to order directly from Pottery Barn, Land of Nod, Williams-Sonoma Home, etc can STILL front like we do!! WOOOOOO-HOOOOOO!!!
I was the Manager on Duty responsible for chronicling every step of the process. The Strong Man was in charge of manual labor. Every time we had a meeting to discuss our roles, he would turn red, grit his teeth and mumble something about an impossible woman. Thankfully, all turned out well.

Here it goes:
1. Marking the cuts. (PLEASE NOTE!! Ana supplies ALL the info you would need to have Lowe's or Home Depot make these cuts for you!! Don't be overwhelmed!)


2. We have our pieces!!


3. A random pic of supplies. HOWEVER, note the bottom right corner!! Those are a page of Ana's plans!!


4. Houston, we have assembly!! Gorilla Glue...I heart you!! (and Gorilla tape, epoxy and so on and so forth!!)



5. Houston, we have UPRIGHT assembly!! (Don't be judging my garage!!)



6. The Strong Man added a little something extra to our "Recycle Center!!" He routed out the top!! I love the extra touch it gives it!!



7. We opted for the slide out drawers verses the tilt out doors. Here is a pic of the hardware.



8. FINALLY, the finished product!! Unfortunately, I don't have a staging studio with expensive lighting and cameras! My older than dirt camera DOESN'T do it justice!!!




9. For the paint job, we opted for KRYLON Indoor/Outdoor Black in a satin finish. ONLY because Hob Lob had only ONE CAN of Rustoleum's Canyon Black. Now, I know the sisters at Shanty2Chic (whom I LOVE!!) go on and on about Rustoleum's Canyon Black. However, KRYLON did NOT LET ME DOWN!! Not to mention, it has a super cool "EZ TOUCH 360 Dial" that TRULY adjusts to any angle!! (NO I am NOT being paid to say this!! I have a whopping 17 followers!! Nobody pays me to say anything!! It is just an honest product review!!)
After painting, I did take some 80 grit sandpaper and "distress" the edges.



Our final price tag= $65!!!!
As Ana put it, "Trash never looked so good!!" A HUGE THANK YOU to Ana for providing the plans and to The Strong Man for doing my bidding!!
Dear Strong Man,
You did an INCREDIBLE JOB and I LOVE IT!!! THANK YOU!!!
Love,
The Bearded Lady




DIY Day @ ASPTL






Make it Yours @ My Backyard Eden

26 comments:

  1. That looks fantastic. Strong Man is a natural with tools. Bet you all love having the trash hidden. Great job. I just might put Papa to work. Relatively speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! Isn't it great having a handyman husband? Mine built an awesome toy chest when I wasn't willing to pay PB's hefty pricetag! I think I'll keep him...and you should keep The Strong Man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome!! Found you thru TCB - thanks for sharing this great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW. I love it!! I am going to HAVE to show this one to my hubby! Great job
    ~Tana

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great job you did! I keep seeing projects from Ana's plans all over blogland. My list grows everytime I visit her. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fabulous! Thank goodness for patient husbands ;)
    Thanks for joining my party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Y'all knocked this one out of the park. What a fabulous knock off of your PB inspiration.

    Love the black satin paint too. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my word!! I love it...it's almost too pretty to use for recycling. ;) Love the color you decided to go with!

    Thanks for the visit!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! Maybe some day I can convince my hubby to make one - when we have room for it near the kitchen and the kid isn't obsessed with eating garbage :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. All that for $65? That's amazing! I wish we had a place for something like that in our kitchen... it looks so nice!

    ~Elizabeth
    Confessions From A Working Mom

    ReplyDelete
  11. Man I don't think I could have pulled that one off...so many tools. But you did good!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Saw you on Ana's...turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is SO neat! Yours turned out great. Wish I had room for one of those in my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Outstanding! I wish I had the space for something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is amazing! Do you think you could come over and make one for us? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. so pretty! Great job doing this project!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Is that all made out of MDF or did you select another wood? I love Ana's work and wanted to make these for laundry in my bedroom

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow this is so great! I have wanted some sort of recycle center for a long time. Ours is currently out on the snow covered porch :(
    Thanks for the great idea, I am sending it to my husband right now!
    ~Amber
    The Mom Road

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much for your sweet comments and for the website. I will definitely bookmark it for future tips and hints. I get frustrated with myself with the pictures. I think if I can do other creative things, why can't I take a darned decent photo!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your writing. I found you through a soup recipe link on Made By You Mondays. "I have 17 followers. I'm not getting paid to say anything." That is priceless. But you are doing better than me. I only have 15. LOL

    Definitely a new reader here.

    ReplyDelete
  21. BEAUTIFUL!!!! Tell him to come over here next...my "not-so-handy-man-husband" wouldn't have the first clue where to start. I did tell you that when we got married, I was the one with the tools, right? He didn't even own a screwdriver. :)

    True story: We did some painting on the previous house we owned (first time to paint a room as a couple!) and he taped off the light and outlet covers to paint instead of unscrewing them and taking them off. Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks awesome. I think the rolling drawers are a great idea too. We use Krylon because I haven't seen Rustoleum Americana here in our area of Canada for a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That turned out amazing! I'm currently making Knock off Wood's Hyde side table. Yours turned out so great! Love the routing on the edges.

    Thanks for linking up to Make it Yours day!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great job strong man!! You know it was worth all the pain! LOL
    I love the black paint you chose. A couple of little label holders like the inspiration pic would be very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  25. yay for ya'll! doesn't ana make it fun to build? :)
    did you see my media center? It was from ana's plans, but I modified it to fit my space!
    I had hd make my cuts... that mdf is heavy stuff! No way I could ever handle that myself. When you don't have a "strong man" to help, you have to "cheat". :)
    gail

    ReplyDelete

Followers

You are Visitor Number

BlogCatalog

Family Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory